29 Sep Why Essential Oils Should Be Your Rescue Remedies
Since the dawn of civilization, people have turned to the power of plants for healing purposes. Today, there’s renewed interest in using essentials oils to improve physical or psychological well-being.
Essential oils are not actually oils – they are highly concentrated, pure plant components that safely and naturally strengthen, tone and harmonize the body and the emotions. They can be absorbed into the body through two methods: inhalation and topical application.
Inhalation – Breathing in the botanical scents through the olfactory nerve in the back of the nose targets smell receptors that trigger effects, which then pass through the nervous system to the brain.
Topical Application – Diluted essential oils can also be applied directly onto the skin during massage or while bathing (essential oils are extremely concentrated and should always be diluted before applying to the body). When absorbed through the skin, some essential oils have antifungal or antibacterial effects.
Essential oils have many benefits:
- You save money (a little goes a long way!)
- You avoid putting harmful chemicals on your body
- They can be very versatile (you can get creative with multiple application methods)
- There’s something for everyone
- You get results safely & naturally!
- Rosemary, Sage and Peppermint – aid in improving memory and cognition.
- Lavender and Chamomile – have been found to calm the body, alleviate stress and improve sleep.
- Peppermint – helps to relax the smooth muscles in the lower esophagus and has been used for centuries to ease gastrointestinal problems, including the discomfort associated with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and morning sickness during pregnancy.
- Tea Tree – Studies have shown that Tea Tree is as effective as benzoyl peroxide in decreasing acne outbreaks. It is also helpful in preventing nail fungus and athlete’s foot, and relieving the discomfort of insect bites and stings.
- Rose, Lavender and Frankincense – help ease discomfort during childbirth, which can reduce the need for pain medication.
- Bergamot – helps to reduce stress and improves skin conditions such as Eczema.
- Ylang-Ylang – often used to calm headaches, ease nausea and soothe aggravated skin conditions.
- Sandalwood – helps calm the nerves and promote improved focus.
Please also visit our Essential Oil Blending Library for tried and true essential oil blending recipes that help boost immunity, ease stress, reduce muscle pain and headaches, promote healthy sleep, and more.
And always keep the following tips in mind when shopping for high-quality essential oils:
Purity – Look for essential oils that contain only aromatic plant compounds, with no additives or synthetic oils. Pure essential oils generally list the plant’s botanical name (such as Lavandula Officinalis) rather than terms like “Essential Oil of Lavender.”
Quality – True essential oils are those that have been changed the least by the extraction process. Use only chemical-free essential oils that have been extracted through distillation or mechanical cold pressing.
Reputation – Do a little homework and purchase only from brands with a reputation for producing high-quality products.
TARA’s pure, unadulterated Essential Oils include organic, wild-crafted and pesticide-free oils from farmers around the world, chosen after a rigorous research and screening process to ensure they are the finest grade available.
*Petersen, Stacy. “Why aromatherapy is showing up in hospital surgical units” mayoclinic.org.
Accessed 18 Sept. 2020.
*Schmidt, Megan. “What Science Says About the Potential Healing Effects of Essential Oils” discovermagazine.com.
Accessed 19 Sept. 2020.